Tuesday 16 January 2018

Atypical cool weather hits close to the equator

Cool weather isn't unusual in itself. But when it occurs in a city which averages 28°C to 31°C in January then it becomes a problem hobby-wise. Temperatures have plummeted 10°C to a low of 21°C in Kuala Lumpur and to an even lower 16°C in highland areas in the peninsula. To be fair such cool weather has nothing on the harsh winters in most countries. It's just that KLites aren't used to this, at least not me. Even office air-con systems seem much colder as the missus can attest to.

In her office, the missus is feeling the cold as temperatures plummet 10°C 

Why would such cool pleasant weather be a detriment to my hobby activities? Well for one, humidity levels remained high (up to 89% at times) even as temperatures drop. And I became aware of an issue some hobbyists were having when air brushing in cool and humid weather namely increased rate of water accumulation in the air compressor tank. Water vapour mixed with paint is never a good thing. This has scared a noob like me, enough from testing out my new air brush compressor.

Even my 'spray priming' goggles are fogging up quickly due to the cold and humid weather

In fact, the air conditioning in my room has started to leak as water vapour condenses more readily in the cold thus reinforcing my reluctance to start air brushing any time soon. That, of course, is not a good excuse for the 'hobby inertia'. Most of my projects still require the good old-fashioned hand brush painting techniques. And if push comes to shove I could 'easily' just focus on non-paint work like assembling. So hopefully I can get something done before week is over as I come to terms with wet and cold conditions in a tropical environment ... messed up global climate indeed.

https://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

6 comments:

  1. You have to paint a little traditionally with a brushes, there is no other option :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right. Luckily I have my Suicide Squad Katana project as that involves traditional hand-brushing only. :)

      Delete
  2. Indeed enjoy the cooler climes and get some brushes on the go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, it's nice to have cooler climes ... while it lasts :)

      Delete
  3. Oh , I didn't realise those weather conditions could be such a mess! Ooops, I hope it all comes back to normal soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact it has hence the resumption of my blogging soon! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...